Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Confessions

I have a confession to make.  I absolutely HATE baking for Christmas.  Baking for any reason, really.  It's too restrictive and controlled for my style; since I can't eat wheat, it is a tremendous amount of work for something I'm not allowed to enjoy.  Christmas baking seems especially laborious to me because it is expected.  I resent walking past the rows and rows of baking supplies in the grocery stores - the ones that shout at me "You aren't part of an awesome holiday tradition!  You are seriously lacking in all things maternal and womanly!"  So, in response to these horrible baking voices, I have devised a plan.  I scour the local bakeries for Christmas goodies and let the professionals do the work for me.
One of my recent trips took me to Putnam Market in Saratoga Springs, NY.  It is among my favorite guilty pleasures.  Just walking through the store and admiring the shelves of fresh baked goods, specialty items, and delicious savories makes my mouth water. 
 
Since my husband was born and raised in the UK, I love that I can bring him some Christmas 'biscuits' and tea from the homeland.  As for me, I stock up on the things that I can eat - cheese, olives, marinades and sauces - to make holiday entertaining that much easier.
On my way out?  I indulge in the purchase of a gift basket for the upcoming holiday party.  And all of this is infinitely more fun than baking.


Just don't tell my kids.  They still think I slaved over those ginger cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment