Monday, September 27, 2010

An Unusual Birthday Present


Three weeks ago, when Abby asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday, I could not think of a respectable reply.  I know that at my age (which is a delightfully young 35), the expected response would have been along the lines of, "I don't need to celebrate my birthday anymore!  That's just for young people."  Or perhaps, "Dinner and a movie would be great."  Or maybe even, "A mani-pedi and a facial, please."  But none of those answers rang true for me.  The truth was that all I really wanted to do for my birthday was have a ridiculous amount of silly, stupid, rip-roaring fun.


Fast forward three weeks.  Along with two very wonderful friends, Abby and I spent the day at Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George.  We went on every fast and crazy ride the park offers.  We even went on the SkyCoaster - the 175 foot free-fall ride, which consists of only a harness and a very strong steel cable.  And I went on it twice.  Yes, twice.  In one day.


Four girls, long past our foolish teenage years, screamed, shouted and celebrated in the most outrageous and unusual ways.  We held our hands up in the back row of the Comet.  We plunged down 190 feet on the Sasquatch.  We got absolutely soaked and shivering on the Raging River.  It was the best birthday I could have ever imagined.


So here's to unusual birthdays and fantastic friends.  May this coming year of life be as blessed as the day that kicked it off.  And may all of your birthdays make you as happy as this year's birthday made me.
http://www.skycoaster.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment